Thursday 27 April 2017

Life hack - coin conversion for free

For today's' post, I want to share a little life hack that I discovered by accident.  I normally collect copper coins and then take them to the Coinstar machine at Sainsbury's (or wherever) to convert them to more practical and less heavy denominations. 

The banks aren't keen on changing coppers, so, even though the Coinstar charges something like 10p per £1 (I think), it at least provides a useful service.

But it turns out you can convert your coins for free by sneakily using the supermarket self-service checkouts.  I was being a bit dim one day - I tried to pay for some groceries with change, but I didn't have enough so I pressed the cancel button.  And - joy - it returned my money not as a load of change, but in pound coins! 

I tend to do this when the self-services till are quiet, so I'm not holding anybody up whilst I convert my coins.  But it allows me to get those annoying coppers processed without paying for it.  Result.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS