Thursday 29 March 2018

Recipe: Buckwheat Banana Bread

Banana bread vegan plant-based gluten-free sugar-free


Happy Thursday, everybody :)  I'm just checking in today to bring you an important banana bread recipe.  Yes, important.  Really!  For this banana bread is completely free of eggs, dairy, added sugar, and added fat. How good is that?

I was sceptical about how successful this recipe would be, but I had three very ripe bananas that needed using up, so I had a go.  And I can safely say it's delicious!  The texture is great - moist and a little springy - and it is just sweet enough.  The fruit and nuts add plenty of interest.

The recipe is from the book East by West, by Jasmine Hemsley.  I changed it slightly by using spelt flour instead of buckwheat flour, and cacao powder instead of the cinnamon.  But the banana bread turned out just great.  As it's low in sugar, I've been having a couple of slices for breakfast, and it really keeps me going till lunchtime.  I know that I'll be making this recipe on a regular basis from now on.  Here's the original version:

Ingredients:

290g buckwheat flour (I used spelt flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
4 ripe bananas, mashed & 1 ripe banana, sliced
1 tsp vanilla extract
60g raisins
30g walnuts

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180 deg C/gas mark 4. 

Mix all of the dry ingredients, plus a pinch of salt, together in a large bowl. 

Mash four bananas, 120ml of water, and the vanilla extract together, then add the dry ingredients.  Mix in the raisins, walnuts and banana slices. 

Transfer the mixture into a 750g loaf tin lined with baking parchment.  Bake for 25 minutes, then turn to ensure even cooking, and bake for a further 15 minutes until firm to the touch.  Allow to cool before slicing.

---

And that's it.  I've got my banana bread stored in a cake tin, and it seems to be keeping well several days later.  I hope you love it too, if you decide to give it a go...

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS