Wednesday 21 February 2018

Buy Nothing New Challenge - Update 3



When I started this challenge, I thought I'd intersperse the updates with my other posts, but it has kind of taken over the asylum.  I find that I actually spend quite a lot of time thinking about what I might need or want to buy new, and then thinking of ways to avoid it. 

So this time, it's all things laundry-related.  I mentioned before that my washing machine is on the blink.  It still works, but it doesn't go on to the spin cycle automatically any more.  I have to switch it off, leave it for 10 minutes, and then manually change the programme to the spin.  It still does the job, but it's a bit of a hassle. 

I'd hoped I'd be able get a washing machine repair man out, and he'd fix it up for a relatively small sum of money.  Fortunately, we still have somebody in the area who will repair appliances - it's a service that just isn't so much in demand these days.  Anyway, he had a look, and said that 1) the problem is with the circuit board, and 2) the drum is coming loose.  Between these two issues, he said it was not worth repairing the machine.

The washing machine came with the house when I bought it seven years ago, so it's a fair age now.  I've had good use out of it, so on balance, I accepted the expert advice of washing machine repair man.  Especially as he was prepared to do the call-out for free!

So the options: 
1) Wait till the end of the challenge and get a new washing machine - if I'm honest, I'd really like a lovely shiny brand new machine!  They aren't even all that expensive these days, and it would be good to get a more energy-efficient model.  But it's not really in the spirit of the challenge, so...

2) See what I can get second-hand.  There aren't many washing machines coming up on Freecycle at the moment, so I'll need to have a scout around and see if there are any shops selling second-hand machines.  Ideally who will deliver and install - might be pushing my luck there.

3) Go to the laundrette - there is one round the corner, but I nipped in the other day to see what it would cost, and it's £5 for a wash.  £5!!!!!  And that's before you even think of drying your laundry!  Is it any wonder people can't afford to eat if they have to pay that sort of money to wash clothes. 

As the machine still approximately works, I'll go with option 2 for now. 

With all the concern about microfibres from clothing getting into the oceans, and then into our food and water, I was really pleased to read about Guppyfriends.  These are basically laundry bags that you can use to wash synthetic fabrics in with your normal wash.  The microfibers get trapped inside the Guppyfriend, and you then presumably put them in the bin.

At £25, a Guppyfriend is quite pricey.  Ordinarily, I'd have gone ahead anyway and spent the money because of the benefits to the environment. 

But the good thing about the Buy Nothing New Challenge is that I have to stop and think, even about good, innovative products like this.  So in the meantime, I'm going to do a little research and read a few reviews to see if it is worth the investment.

And the solution is staring me in the face - stop wearing my synthetic clothing for now.

So that's all for this update.  I've bought a couple of things at charity shops, and have possibly spent slightly more than usual on food and drink, but I haven't bought anything new since the last update. Yay!

Till next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS