Tuesday 16 January 2018

Frugal January - low-cost things to do this month

Frugal low spend things to do in January

I'm still low-spending this January, but not no-spending just yet.  Partly, this is because the sales can be invaluable for picking up things like clothing essentials, and other bits and pieces I might need to replace.  Also, there are a couple of family birthdays in January and February, and unfortunately, I'm not organised enough to sort out presents and cards in advance. 

Nonetheless, here are a handful of low or no-spend things I like to do this month:

Savings

I don't find January to be a conducive time for any major reviews of my financial situation.  However, these are two small saving methods I use to give me a sense of control over my money after the Christmas expenses: 

1) Saving £2 coins.  You don't get all that many £2 coins in your change, so when I get one, I put it in my little old-fashioned piggy bank.  Clearly, if I get given a fistful of them, I won't save then all at once, but the odd one here and there adds up.  At the minute, I have £30 or so in £2 coins in the pig, and it's really good to have a little slush fund in the house for small emergencies. 

2) Saving a pound a day.  This is just a small fund that I restart each January, so that the following January, I'll have a little lump sum of £365 to spend in the sales, or for paying off the bills.  Basically, it's a standing order for £7 a week to a savings account that I don't touch all year, or use for any other purpose. 

The great thing is that this method really demotivates me from mindless spending.  For example, I might want to spend, for the sake of argument, 70p on a bag of crisps.  In the back of my mind, I know that if I spend that money, I'll have pretty much blown my savings for the day.  Often, this is enough to motivate me not to spend the money, so it can be an effective little deterrent. 

(If £1 a day is too much, then make it 50p a day, or £3.50 a week - you will still end up with £182.50 each January.  Or basically any amount that you won't miss day to day.) 

Audit what I have and use it

In other words, I make a list of the stuff I already have to hand - for example, the books in the house I haven't read, or the DVDs I haven't watched - and I make time to get through them.  It's also a good time to round up all the unfinished projects that are kicking about, and decide whether to get on with them or let them go.  By this, I mean creative things like the lino-cut set I bought after attending a day course.  I haven't used it, which suggests I'm not going to, but it's good to set time aside and make a decision.  If I decide that I'm not going to pursue something, I'll pass it on to somebody who will.  (And make a note to self to think more carefully about taking on these projects in the first place...)

Catch up with friends

Before Christmas, we often put pressure on ourselves to catch up with as many people as we can.  But seeing them in January is just as valid, and often less stressful as well.  It doesn't need to cost much, maybe just a coffee out, or a drink after work. 

That said, I haven't quite managed to see anybody yet, as I've had a bad cold/virus thing for around two weeks now.  But if you haven't been struck down with the New Year plague, it's lovely to see people in January, and it gives some focus and structure to the month.

And finally

If some new make-up would light up the month for you, don't forget to enter my cruelty-free and vegan beauty giveaway - either scroll down, or find it here.  Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of saving £1 a day, how nice it must be to get that £365 at the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thoroughly recommend it, Susie, it's amazing how you can build up a really useful pot of money with relatively little pain, or feeling that you're depriving yourself. I'm not for one for self-deprivation!

      Delete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS