Sunday 15 October 2017

My frugal week


This is not a finance blog, and I am no genius with money, but I do like to cut costs.  To me, being frugal is about cutting down on unnecessary spending wherever possible in order to channel it into the things that count.  For example, it is not important to me to drive an expensive new car, so my partner and I share his old Rover hatchback.  It's around 14 years old now, but it does everything we need it to do.  I prefer to spend money on good quality food, beauty products, books, things that I really enjoy. 

So this week, I have:

1) Switched my home insurance provider and saved £241 on last year's premium.  (A saving this big suggests I should have sorted this long before the renewal date, but at least it's done now.)

2) Booked my flights home to see my folks for Christmas whilst the prices are still fairly low.  I got a return flight with Easyjet for £110 from Newcastle to Belfast, which isn't bad.  I could have got a cheaper price, but the flight times were good.  I don't buy any extras, and I take only a cabin bag, so that all helps to keep the costs down. 

3) Bought a pair of jeans from a charity shop for £5! Why pay more!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Elaine! That's a whopping saving on your home insurance and a great bargain on those jeans. I haven't bought too many clothes in the past two years as I'm learning how to sew my own but occasionally I will "splash out" on a top for a few $ at an op-shop if I know I'll wear it often. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Meg! Thanks for your comment! I've tried sewing on and off in the past, I think a class would help me a lot if I could find a local one. In the meantime, I love the feeling of finding a good item of clothing for so much less then the retail price. Hope you're enjoying your sewing adventures! E x

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS