Tuesday 10 October 2017

Things I've stopped buying - minimalism



I love reading blog posts on this subject.  I've been trying to cut down on my spending and acquiring over the last couple of years, so I thought I'd have a round up of the things I buy a lot less of...

1) Stuff whilst travelling

I used to have quite a habit of buying unnecessary things whilst travelling.  By this I mean things like:getting a chocolate bar when paying for petrol, or from a vending machine whilst waiting for a train; getting snacks on the train; buying stuff (mostly make-up) at the airport; buying souvenirs on holiday; buying something on the airport on the way back from holiday (often a bottle of unusually flavoured alcohol that would never be finished).  Somehow, travelling would be an excuse for spending money and treating myself - even if I wasn't going very far at all.  Now, I will still get something to eat or drink if I really need it, but I've cut down on the superfluous bits and pieces.

2) Clothes

For many years, clothes shopping was the thing I did at the weekend, or at lunchtimes, or whenever, really.  I've cut down at lot on my purchasing, and done a lot of decluttering.  To the point where I almost don't have enough to wear anymore... As a result, I need to rethink and update my wardrobe a bit, but this will make a post of its own...

3) Bits and pieces for the house

Or knick-knacks, as my friend used to call my choice of home decor.  I've moved house quite a few times, and even though it is stressful, one of the things I've always liked was seeing my (soon to be former) home look so clean and calm once I'd packed away all the clutter.  So I've decided that I want to create that clean, calm environment without moving out, and accumulating fewer home wares really helps. 

4) Hair dye

I may not cut this out for ever, but lately, I've not got round to dying my hair for a while, and as a result the greys are showing through.  However, in a surprise move, friends started to complement me on my natural colour!  I was surprised, but pretty pleased, so I've left my hair uncoloured for now...

5) Flavoured teas and coffees

I like to try different foods and flavours, and so I've often tried unusually flavoured teas and coffees.  Eventually, though, I realised that I don't really like them that much.  Mostly, it's the idea of them I like, rather than the actual hot drink once it's in front of me.  So now, I just stick to the plain tea and coffee brands that I know I like.  It saves money, and saves me palming off that strange fruit tea on somebody that doesn't really want it either.

There are a lot more things I've cut back on, these were just the ones that sprang readily to mind...

2 comments:

  1. My hair is greying too, Elaine. For now, while it blends in and is more highlights than full-on, I've decided not to dye it. I know in myself I'd be slack with the upkeep, would cringe whenever I had to pay the hairdresser and I don't like to think about all the chemicals on my head. Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Meg, yes, that's the stage I'm at! I asked the hairdresser what she thought when I last went for a cut - she is very honest, so when she said it looked fine, I went with that. Yep, chemicals on your head, chemicals in the water, it's not so good... E x

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS