Friday 8 June 2018

World Oceans Day & Morsbags & update

Plastic bags reducing pollution Morsbags World Oceans Day


Happy Friday, everybody! 

This Friday also happens to be World Oceans Day, and to celebrate, I decided to sign up to Morsbags again, and create my own bagging pod. 

If you have never come across Morsbags before, it's a movement that was created a few years ago to combat the destructive impact of single use plastic bags in our seas and waterways.

It's a really simple concept - you get together some second-hand fabric (cotton is normally best), and sew it up into lovely shopping bags that can be used instead of plastic ones.  They should be washable, if you choose your fabric well, and will last for ages.  Mine certainly have...

The Morsbags motto is 'sociable.guerilla.bagging'.  The bagging element is obvious!  It's social, because many pods (or bagging groups) have members who get together to sew on a regular basis (although, you can also stick to being a solo pod if you'd prefer).  And the guerrilla bit is where you release your brand new bags on the unsuspecting public.  They are handed out, completely free of charge, in hopes that people will switch to using them instead of plastic bags.

I used to be in a pod back when I lived in Durham, but I moved a couple of times, and lost the momentum.  A lot has changed in the 10 or so years since I last bagged, but there is still so much to do to tackle plastic pollution.  So I'm very happy to have signed up again. 

The all-important labels are available from Morsbags for a small sum, but there are no other charges.  And here are some I made earlier:

Plastic pollution resuable bags second and fabric

You only need basic sewing skills to create these bags, and it's a lot of fun.  Lots of people get pretty creative with them too.

If you like to join up and have a go, the website will give you all the information you need, including the instructions for making the bags.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

UPDATE

And on to my update.  You know back when I said I was all ready to blog again after my break?  Well, I kind of wasn't.  But I haven't abandoned the blog just yet.

Long story short, work got in the way for a bit, so I've had to focus on that for the past while.  But I knew that I wasn't really happy with the look of the blog, so I'm working on a bit of a rebrand.  It's small things with the template, like having to 'curate' the five pictures at the top, which is quite difficult and time consuming.  Also, I don't like my picture, but I don't seem to be able to find a better one.  (This is a hopeless excuse, I know...) 

Another key thing is that my work involves sitting at a computer screen for 8 hours a day, most days, so I find it difficult to spend the further screen time that blogging demands.  And that makes it pretty difficult to grow the blog too, as that requires even more time on other social media platforms. 

But does it matter?  I realised that the answer is no.  I have a small readership by any measure, but actually, that's fine.  It's something I do for enjoyment, and if I can share information and ideas with other people, that's a bonus.

But an update is on the way, and when the refreshed blog is ready, I will announce it right here!

In the meantime, let me know in the comments if you are doing anything special for World Oceans Day...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS